Remodeling your kitchen can be time consuming and challenging and even overwhelming at times, but it doesn’t have to be. Working with an experienced and professional kitchen renovation company can make a huge difference to your overall experience. And planning ahead can help a lot, too! Before starting your kitchen renovation project, here are some things to consider to help make your renovation experience a great one.
6 tips to prepare for a kitchen renovation project
Once your kitchen renovation plans have been established with your contractors, it is your job to prepare mentally and physically for this project. Depending on the nature of the project, renovations can take a few days, weeks, or sometimes months for very large projects. Although the details involved in your kitchen remodel may seem a bit overwhelming, there are a few things you can do ahead of time to limit your stress and enjoy your time at home during this renovation:
- Smart planTry to schedule a kitchen remodel during a season when you are not constantly dependent on your kitchen. Summer is often a great season for a remodel because the weather is nicer and it’s easier to fill your calendar with busy activities outside the home. You can even plan a remodel during part of your summer vacation to avoid the hassle of a renovation and go home to enjoy your new kitchen.
- Pack: This is often the first step in preparing your kitchen for a remodel. Although packing up your kitchen may seem like a hassle, it’s actually a great time to get organized. This initial step is the perfect time to get rid of broken or obsolete kitchen utensils and appliances, while preserving your treasured pieces. Keep the boxes labeled and organized so you can easily store everything in your new kitchen.
- Set aside a living / dining area: While eating out is a convenient option for those in the middle of a kitchen remodel, you may also want to eat a few meals at home. Prepare a space in the dining room or basement where you and your family can enjoy a meal together. Move the refrigerator and other small appliances to an area where they can be easily accessed. Time out of your kitchen can be a challenge, but don’t make it harder by packing your coffee pot! Keep non-perishable foods around the house and even take advantage of the use of your grill. Creating a space for family meals will help reduce stress and provide a routine.
- Keep a flexible schedule: It is not uncommon for kitchen renovations to involve unexpected delays during the remodel process. Waiting for appliances to be delivered can easily delay a project by a couple of weeks. Try to keep an open mind as well as a flexible schedule. Not everything goes according to plan, and a kitchen remodel can be one of those things!
- Be prepared for a change in your routine: Every morning you go downstairs, pour yourself a cup of coffee and sit at the breakfast bar reading the newspaper. During a remodel, coffee may need to be brewed in the bathroom or even the living room. That time spent reading at the breakfast bar can turn into reading the newspaper on the sofa in the basement. Whether you drink coffee or not, the point is, your daily routine will have to change to accommodate your new circumstances. A makeover affects even the smallest parts of the entire day, but you don’t have to let it affect you negatively!
- Remember the big picture: Some days, the stress and dust of a remodel can take its toll. All this hard work starts to seem pointless if you have to wait weeks to enjoy it … don’t let the process get you down. All good things take time and that’s exactly the case with a kitchen remodel! At the end of the project you will be in love with your new kitchen and you will not even remember the time you had to make a complete family dinner with the help of a microwave.
Most kitchen remodeling projects require some time, patience, and positivity. With a little advanced planning and the help of an experienced kitchen remodeling company, your entire experience can be that much more enjoyable. Start by preparing your space and organizing your kitchen supplies. And keep your routine and schedule flexible, if possible, to allow for unexpected delays. Lastly, remember the reason for the remodel and the beautiful new kitchen that awaits you.